Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Nowhere Near You {by Leah Thomas}

Title: Nowhere Near You
Author: Leah Thomas
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Series: Because You'll Never Meet Me, #2
Genre: YA Contemporary/SciF
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
source: NetGalley

Ollie and Moritz might never meet, but their friendship knows no bounds. Their letters carry on as Ollie embarks on his first road trip away from the woods--no easy feat for a boy allergic to electricity--and Moritz decides which new school would best suit an eyeless boy who prefers to be alone.
Along the way they meet other teens like them, other products of strange science who lead seemingly normal lives in ways Ollie and Moritz never imagined possible: A boy who jokes about his atypical skeleton; an aspiring actress who hides a strange deformity; a track star whose abnormal heart propels her to victory. Suddenly the future feels wide open for two former hermits. But even as Ollie and Moritz dare to enjoy life, they can't escape their past, which threatens to destroy any progress they've made. Can these boys ever find their place in a world that might never understand them?

Oh, how much I enjoyed reading Ollie and Moritz again. I was entranced by the first book, and while this wasn't quite to the level of that one, I still loved it so much. It was so good to see my faves again, as well as a whole cast of new characters that I loved getting to know.

Ollie has finally left his home in the woods on a mission to find more of kids like him, and tell their story. Moritz has to decide where to continue his schooling. Both of them have completely uprooted their lives, their only constant being the letters they write to each other.

Again, it takes a very talented writer to write an entire book in letters, and Leah Thomas is that. Both voices were very distinct, and you really got to see their character through the letters. While Moritz's letters were in present time, Ollie's actually lagged by a couple months at first. This wasn't confusing though. It added a sense of mystery and intrigue to what was actually happening, and I found myself wondering what was happening. While the beginning was a bit slow for me to get into (mostly because I forgot some Important Things that happened in book 1 and was a bit confused), once I got into the groove, I found myself needing to know what was happening.

This is a story of Ollie and Moritz finding their place in the world, and with each other. They have both seen some pretty bad things, but they are trying to figure out how to move on and live life. I found myself looking forward to Moritz's parts more in some places, but I still enjoyed both sides of the story that was being told. I also loved the new characters that we got introduced to and their stories.

So, in short, I loved this book. It's a story about messy lives and messy relationships and living and I adored it, just like I adore Ollie and Moritz.


Leah Thomas:

Twitter | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment