Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Thicker than Water {by Brigid Kemmerer}

 Thicker than Water by Brigid Kemmerer
Title: Thicker than Water
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
source: NetGalley

Thomas Bellweather hasn’t been in town long. Just long enough for his newlywed mother to be murdered, and for his new stepdad’s cop colleagues to decide Thomas is the primary suspect.
Not that there’s any evidence. But before Thomas got to Garretts Mill there had just been one other murder in twenty years. 
The only person who believes him is Charlotte Rooker, little sister to three cops and, with her soft hands and sweet curves, straight-up dangerous to Thomas. Her best friend was the other murder vic. And she’d like a couple answers.
Answers that could get them both killed, and reveal a truth Thomas would die to keep hidden…

I  love Kemmerer's Elemental series, so I was so excited when I saw this. And it did not disappoint. I will say, I did not realize this was a paranormal story when I started (although I should have realized because it is Brigid Kemmerer), so if that's not your thing, you have been warned.

Thomas is the new kid in a small town that has already decided not to like him. He's the primary suspect of his mother's murder, and he's all alone. Until he meets Charlotte, who unfortunately happens to be the sister to the cops who dislike him the most. So, with her help, Thomas sets out to find the real killer.

Although this was not a light book by any means, it was a pretty fast read. It kept me glued to the pages, wondering what would happen. At the same time, the characters were pretty well fleshed out. Thomas is full of angst and dark thoughts and despair. Charlotte lives in a stifling family, where women are expected to be docile and pretty and do the dishes and pop out babies. But it doesn't stop her. Sure, she does make some questionable decisions just because Thomas is "hot", but I admired her sass.

The writing was amazing, as always. Kemmerer perfectly captured the small-town atmosphere, as well as other little details that make her books so realistic (except for the paranormal part). I feel that the paranormal part was a bit sudden, with not enough build-up, but other than that, I loved this book. Also, the ending did take me slightly by surprise, which usually doesn't happen, which just shows how engrossed I was.

But in all seriousness, read this book. I was in a serious slump for a while before I started this, and managed to devour it in only a few hours. I absolutely recommend it.

This review can also be found on   Goodreads


Brigid Kemmerer:

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment